Friday, August 19, 2011

Dodger blogger profile: Kenny Shulsen (Lasorda's Lair)

In the fourth of my Dodger blogger profile series, I bring you Kenny Shulsen of Lasorda's Lair.

Lasorda's Lair is a part of the Fansided Network, which is similar to the YardBarker Network, the network this blog belongs to.

1. How did you become a Dodgers' fan?
- My Grandpa lived in Santa Barbara and his company has suite level season tickets. I spent a month every summer going to games and listening to Vin Scully on a transistor radio he bought me. The tipping point was going to a game at Dodger Stadium during the 1977 World Series when I was 8. After that, I was hooked.

2. What got you into blogging?
- I spent a lot of time on various Dodger blogs and message boards. I have a master's degree in history, so I've always been a writer. I came across an ad on FanSided saying it was looking for writers for its Dodger site and the rest just kind of happened.

3. What are some of goals for your blog?
- To be an independent voice about the Dodgers. I strive to provide factual data always based on statistical analysis. I'd like to turn it into one of the sites that Dodger fans check in with everyday to get a unique perspective of what's going on with the franchise.

4. What is the best experience you've had since blogging?
- Going to Dodger Stadium as a member of the press and interviewing Don Mattingly one-on-one in the Dodger dugout. It was the day MLB took over the Dodgers. Reporters kept hammering Mattingly about the takeover, he kept giving them the same answer. When Ned Colletti appeared, they all flocked to him. Mattingly looked at me and said "So, do you have any baseball stuff you want to talk about?" We talked baseball for about 15 minutes. It was awesome.

5. What is your most memorable in-person Dodgers' experience?
- The same as above, having a spot in the press box, going into the clubhouse and stepping on the field at Dodger Stadium for the first time.

6. How many Dodger games have you attended?
- Approximately 75 overall and 50-plus at Dodger Stadium.

7. Who is your all-time favorite Dodger player and pitcher?
- My favorite player was Mike Piazza, I was literally devastated when they traded him. Orel Hershiser was my favorite pitcher, what he did in 1988 was remarkable and I don't think will ever be matched. Eric Gagne is a very close second. I loved watching him develop as a closer and to hear how excited Vin would get when "Game Over" would come into the game. And again, 84 saves in a row is a record that isn't going to be broken.

8. What season of Dodgers' baseball do you remember most? Why?
- 1981. I was old enough to appreciate my team making it to the World Series and that was the year they finally beat the Yankees, especially after falling behind in the series 2-0. I remember sitting in the same chair for every game.

9. Who is the Dodger you liked that no one else seemed to like?
- Franklin Stubbs, I don't know why but I always really liked him and always thought he was going to be great. He did have a really good World Series in 1988.

10. What do you think the Dodgers need to do to win another World Series in your lifetime (save axing McCourt and Colletti)?
- They need to reinvest in their player development system. Logan White is one of the best in the business. They have gotten away from spending money in the Dominican Republic and drafting and developing young players. For decades, that was the hallmark of the Dodgers system. Of course, they can't do that until they get rid of McCourt.

No comments:

Post a Comment