Thursday, January 9, 2014

Open letter to Ned Colletti and Cesar Izturis in hopes of Dodgers' reunion

Dear Ned Colletti and Cesar Izturis,

Hi, Dustin Nosler here -- world-famous* Dodger blogger. (*- not really)

Look, there's no sense in going through a song and dance. The Dodgers need a backup infielder capable of fielding balls in play up the middle. Ned, Cesar is one of the best glove men I've ever seen in my 25 years of watching baseball. He and Alex Cora formed one of the best double play combinations I've ever seen.

Yes, Mr. Izturis has aged and his skills have declined a bit, but he's still fully capable of being a plus-defender at second base and probably at shortstop. Before you traded him to Chicago for now-hall of famer Greg Maddux -- a move I was upset about, at the time (in hindsight, it was the correct decision), he was even a plus defender at third base.

I envision Izturis as this year's Nick Punto, minus the head-first slides into first base. He's never been known for his bat, but he can hit enough to justify a spot on the Dodgers' 25-man roster. Not only would bringing Izturis back take some pressure off Alexander Guerrero and Dee Gordon, it'd also be nostalgic for yours truly.

The options on the market, as I'm sure you know, are less-than stellar. Unless you have a grand move to acquire Nick Franklin, Izzy might be the best option.

Cesar, you are one of my favorite Dodger players I've ever seen. Your magical defense was enough for me to fall in love with your game. When you had that fantastic offensive season in 2004, I thought you'd be around for the next 10 years. Here we are, 10 years later, and there's an opportunity for you to come back.

If you need me to relay the message to Ned and Co., let me know. I'd be glad to do so.

Anyway, that's about it. The Dodgers could use a sure-handed infielder on the bench for 2014, and Izturis is one of the best out there.

With Carl Crawford switching to No. 3, Izzy would have to choose another number. I'm thinking he could take No. 6, most recently worn by Jerry Hairston and most famously worn by Steve Garvey.

Best regards and much love,
Dustin Nosler
xoxo

Photo credit: Howcheng, Wikimedia Commons

5 comments:

  1. What is this? A love letter to Izturis?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just my creative way of saying I'd like to see the Dodgers bring him back.

      Delete
  2. Could not agree more. An incredible fielder, with even more incredible throwing arm. More than capable with the bat. BRING BACK CESAR!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Izzy+Cora was a dream team all by themselves. They were a pitcher's best friend and also helped the Dodgers in ways that have long been taken for granted. Punto was, without a doubt, a big loss to both morale and the Dodgers bench. I think that it would reignite the interest of those whom loved the defensive aspect offered by the Blue Crew. Furthermore, it would ensure that we have a capable glove on the field at all times, which in many cases last year, proved much more important than a mediocre bat with a track record. I hope Ned goes for this and that the Dodgers start winning some rings because of it. It seems that, more often than not, with winning clubs; small moves and bench players make much more of an impact, both in team success and morale than one could have ever expected upon their signing. These are the moves that must be made in order for the Dodgers to succeed in October, and win that championship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know that he's one of my favorite Dodgers of all time, but he's possibly better than Dee Gordon in every way except foot speed. He was at one time, anyway.

    That's assuming Izturis still has near the same range he had when he was good. If not, feel free to ignore this response. But, yeah, he's a solid glove for late innings when we need one

    Carl Furillo was also 6. I'm not saying he was better than Garvey, but he is worth mentioning.

    ReplyDelete