Friday, July 22, 2011

Dodger blogger profile: Greg Zakwin (Plaschke, Thy Sweater is Argyle)

This is a the third in a series of Dodger blogger profiles. This time we look at Greg Zakwin, who runs Plaschke Thy Sweater is Argyle and Memories of Kevin Malone.

Along with being into everything Dodgers, he's also an avid collector of sports cards and memorabilia. And, he just celebrated a birthday on Sunday.

1. How did you become a Dodgers' fan?
- My parents were Dodgers' fans, so I grew up loving the Dodgers. Plus, Mike Piazza was a badass.

2. What got you into blogging?
- I had been reading Chad Moriyama's work at Memories of Kevin Malone (née Fire Ned Colletti Now), and I wanted an outlet to voice my opinions outside of simply commenting on Chad's posts. I had some free time before I started at UCLA and decided the time was right to give blogging a shot.

3. What are some of goals for your blog?
- Continue to improve in what I do both at my own blog and at Memories of Kevin Malone. Eventually, I'd love to earn a press pass and attend a Dodgers' Blogger Night and be able to recap my experience and what it’s like meeting other and much more successful Dodger bloggers. Long-term, I hope that my writing can eventually lead to a career in the sports industry in some fashion.

4. What is the best experience you've had since blogging?
- Meeting all of the wonderful people I’ve come into contact with, both fellow Dodger bloggers and others since I've begun posting more on cards. Also, on a few occasions I've had some of the bigger names in the Dodger blogging world – Jon Weisman, Mike Petriello – give me a shout-out, and it’s hard to describe how amazing it is when someone much better at what you do recognizes you in some fashion.

5. What is your most memorable in-person Dodgers' experience?
- As a kid, I was part of a group of little leaguers who had the opportunity to go on the field. I had my picture taken with Jose Vizcaino (whoopee!) and ended up with a batting practice home run ball that most likely came off of the bat of Mark McGwire.

6. How many Dodger games have you attended? At Dodger Stadium?
- Oooh, I can’t give an exact number, but say, 25 or so. I can’t recall seeing the Dodgers play anywhere but at Dodger Stadium.

7. Who is your all-time favorite Dodger player and pitcher?
- Player: Piazza growing up, Matt Kemp now. So a tie there. Pitcher: Clayton Kershaw. Though, I'd be remiss if I didn’t mention how much I love Sandy Koufax.

8. What season of Dodgers' baseball do you remember most? Why?
- 2004, primarily because of Steve Finley’s walk-off Grand Slam to send the Dodges to the playoffs. My best friend called me literally a second after it happened and we were both elated and screaming for joy.

2008 and 2009 deserve a mention as well, simply because of the potential that lay ahead after the runs the Dodgers made those seasons. But atrocious trades and signings, and the McCourt issues, have all but washed away all hope not named Kemp and Kershaw.

9. Who is the Dodger you liked that no one else seemed to like?
- Jonathan Broxton. Blake DeWitt. Though, he was initially very popular, toward the end of his Dodger career, Russ Martin began to be hated by many. I was not one of those people. And, of course, Carlos Santana.

10. What do you the Dodgers need to do to win another World Series in your lifetime (save axing McCourt and Colletti)?
- Sign Kemp and Kershaw long-term, first and foremost. Get better management and player evaluators, and move away from constantly singing and trading for aging, mediocre at best veterans while in the process giving up on the young talent that can be placed around your core to work towards a championship.

No comments:

Post a Comment