Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Dodger blogger profile: Jared Massey (L.A. Dodger Talk)

This is the first in a series of profiles on those who blog the Dodgers. It's always interesting to hear the reasons for Dodger fandom and blogging.

This profile is on Jared Massey. He writes for L.A. Dodger Talk and is an expert in all things Dodger prospects. I have known him on Dodger message boards for a good 7-8 years.

1. How did you become a Dodgers' fan?
- I was born a Dodger fan. Went to my first game in the womb.

2. What got you into blogging?
- In 2004 I started following the Dodgers' minor leagues and would post nightly recaps on the Scout.com message board. After I cluttered a few threads, I created my own blog. Last year, Mark Timmons asked me to join LAdodgertalk.com and the rest is history.

3. What are some goals for your blog?
- I'd like to continue providing fans with a place to congregate and share ideas/celebration/misery. I'd also like to continue providing exclusive content, including analysis, interviews and in-depth minor league coverage.

4. What is the best experience you've had since blogging?
- Interviewing Logan White this spring was a great experience. I'd wanted to meet him since 2004 and spent an hour talking Dodgers with him and Mark. That was a lot of fun and very informative. White interviews: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, most recent interview

5. What is your most memorable in-person Dodger experience?
- Game 3 of the 2008 NLCS. It was the Dodgers' first NLCS win since '88. The crowd was amazing. There was electricity in the air.

6. How many Dodger games have you attended? At Dodger Stadium?
- Dozens. I used to go to several a year with my mom growing up.

7. Who is your all-time favorite Dodger player and pitcher?
- My favorite all time Dodger player is Jackie Robinson and my favorite all time Dodger pitcher is Clayton Kershaw.

8. What season of Dodgers' baseball do you remember most? Why?
- Probably 2004. It was the first year where I considered myself a hardcore fan and Finley's walk off grand slam against the Giants to clinch the division was a great moment in Dodger history. Plus, they won their first postseason game since '88 behind a complete game performance from the late Jose Lima.

9. Who is the Dodger you liked that no one else seemed to like?
- I was in the minority as a Hee Seop Choi supporter. I still remember his 7 homers in 4 games. Too bad Tracy never really gave him a chance.

10. What do the Dodgers need to do to win another World Series in your lifetime (save axing McCourt and Colletti)?
- The Dodgers need to continue developing players from within and retain their homegrown stars. Matt Kemp and Clayton Kershaw are two of the best players in baseball and should be retained at (nearly) any cost. Building around them is key, as recent contracts like the ones given to Ted Lilly and Juan Uribe hinder the club's ability to address immediate needs and fill holes going forward. Hopefully the organization will hang on to these elite talents and do a better job of surrounding them with talent in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment