Thursday, May 16, 2013

'Dodger Talk' mentions my work, kind of, on Wednesday night's episode

It's always nice to get recognized for your work. That happened – in some way – on last night's episode of "Dodger Talk," with Kevin Kennedy and Jorge Jarrin.

I wrote an article for Yahoo! Sports about the Dodgers and them targeting starting pitching. Here's an excerpt:
"I never thought I'd be writing these words, but it appears the Dodgers might be in need of a starting pitcher before the July 31 trade deadline.
My target: Jake Peavy of the Chicago White Sox.
Peavy, 32 at the end of the month, signed a two-year, $29.5 million contract extension with the White Sox on Oct. 30. A former Cy Young award winner with the San Diego Padres, Peavy has pitched well this season. He's 5-1 with a 2.96 ERA, 1.01 WHIP, a sparkling 1.6 walks per nine innings rate and a 10.0 strikeouts per nine innings. The only thing concerning about Peavy is he's giving up more home runs than is preferred, with a 13.7 percent HR/FB rate. He plays in a hitter's park, but has given up just two home runs at U.S. Celluar Field this season."
Mind you, I have zero inside information on this or any trade rumors (at least for now). I was merely speculating. I even made that clear in the headline: "If the Los Angeles Dodgers target a starter, it should be Jake Peavy of the Chicago White Sox."

Much to my surprise, the first caller on "Dodger Talk" referenced my piece. Big hat tip to George Cantu, via Twitter.

Link to the show (sorry, couldn't embed it). It's at the beginning of the show and done with in six minutes.

Unfortunately, the caller takes what I wrote as a true rumor, rather than fan speculation with no basis. Kennedy touches on the "rumor" toward the end of the call.

While they didn't mention my name or anything (and I promise I wasn't the one who called), it was kind of nice to hear the piece mentioned on such a big platform.

Maybe this writing for Yahoo! stuff isn't so bad, even if the comments are. Seriously, if you want to witness the lowest of the low – the true Internet basement nerds – just read the comments on any of my submissions so far.

Here's to more recognition and notoriety in the future.

Photo credit: Joe Biewala, Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment