Friday, May 17, 2013

Looking at some potential Dodgers' draft picks in 2013 MLB mock drafts

The 2013 MLB Draft is three weeks from yesterday. Apparently, Thursday was a big mock draft day, as Keith Law (ESPN Insider), Jonathan Mayo (MLB.com) and John Sickels (Minor League Ball) all released mocks.

Manaea
I’m going to look at all the legitimate mock drafts out there to this point to take the temperature of the experts to see who the Dodgers might target in three weeks.

LHP Ian Clarkin, Madison HS (CA)

My take: I’d be OK with his selection. Clarkin is a lefty who has decent size (6’2, 190) with a fastball in the 89-91 MPH range. With his frame, he has some projectability, so adding velocity isn’t out of the question. He also has a curveball and changeup.

LHP Matt Krook, St. Ignatius Prep HS (CA)

My take: Krook has better size than Clarkin (6’4, 195) and has more helium. He’s shooting up the draft boards. He has a low-90s fastball and a curveball.

RHP Phil Bickford, Oaks Christian HS (CA)

My take: Committed to CSU Fullerton, Bickford is a big righty (6’4, 200) with a heavy fastball that has touched 97 MPH. He has a slider that could be a plus pitch down the road. He also mixes in a changeup. His arm talent is unquestioned.

LHP Sean Manaea, Indiana State

My take: Once thought of as a surefire Top-5 selection, Manaea has fallen down draft boards due to injury concerns and decreased velocity. McDaniel makes a good case for the Dodgers popping Manaea. He’s likely going to take a lot of money to sign, and the Dodgers have plenty of that (despite the limitations).

1B/OF Dominic Smith, Serra HS (CA)

My take: I’d be shocked if Smith fell this far, as he’s a likely Top 12-15 pick at worst. If he did, however, he’d be the best player available. In the MLB Draft, taking the BPA is usually the best strategy.

OF Phillip Ervin, Samford

My take: This pick makes the least sense of them all, but I might actually like it. While I say in the latest episode of "Dugout Blues" I wouldn't be opposed to the Dodgers taking a guy like Fresno State outfielder Aaron Judge, the team really doesn't need another outfield prospect. But, the scouting reports are favorable (good hit tool, fast, athletic, strong arm), so his selection wouldn't be the worst thing. But as a college hitter, he'd be on a faster track to the majors than a high schooler. I may have talked myself into liking this potential pick.

-----

I’m looking forward to the draft. I’ll have some posts in the coming weeks about potential draftees. Also, Jared Massey and I will podcast after the Dodgers’ selection in the first round and post it immediate for instant analysis.

Photo credit: Courtesy of the Missouri Valley Conference

5 comments:

  1. Id totally take Ervin guy. Drafting pitchers kinda bores me, so Id rather them take the best positional prospect or this guy. You dodgers can just trade after a year or whatever for an organizational need If they look ligit or make room for em on the roster etc, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sean Manaea has to be the ideal pick here. If he can just get over the injuries the velocity should follow, huge amount of upside and we need that in the system. We can afford mistakes especially with the money and renewed international presence. Although Smith would be sweet to have also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to say, "If the Dodgers take the BPA on their board, I'll be happy." But then I think back to 2011 and the Chris Reed selection. Then I'm not so sure.

    Manaea has the most boom potential, but he probably has the most bust potential, too. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To me, Bickford looks like he has the highest ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Out of those choices Bickford for me ! Dodgers have always been about pitching first.

    ReplyDelete